background

Thursday, August 8, 2013

What did I learn?

So I attended a conference this week in the great state of Texas! I was excited because I have lived in Texas most of my life, but I have never seen the Alamo! So here I am being the nerd that I am.

Ok time for what I learned. It took me a few rounds to figure out where I wanted to go! On day two I literally sat in one room all day. It was the same presenter teaching different sessions. I loved that I learned something new in each session. If I share what I learned maybe I will retain it! 

First of all do you blog with your kids. I have not. I guess I was always a little scared. My presenter, Melissa Leach, gave me an option. Kidblog.org. It is a safe alternative where the teacher has total control over posts and comments. Parents can access their child's blog. They can comment on their posts as well. I started getting excited. My brain just went to clicking. My babies will write in the writing center. They then will rotate sometime that week to the computer station and choose a writing to publish on their blog. I also have writing examples and proof they did something in their station without having to go through their journal. I started playing with the site some already. It will take me a few days but I am excited about it! 

Ok are you an independent reader expert? I was not! I thought I was! Haha. Of course I gave my kids time for independent reading every day, but of course they never were on task. What if I give my kids a purpose for reading? I felt so silly after realizing it. The great, Melissa Leach, said teach a mini lesson, they practice that skill during their independent reading, then they share. So I could have had my kids read and try practicing inferencing. Then they would share some inferences they made. I also got some great ideas for anchor charts at the beginning of the year. I want to make a class list of our likes and dislikes so we can share books according to our likes and dislikes.

I also learned about writers notebooks. This is not for actual writing pieces this is where they write ideas. She gave us book ideas and great ideas to get them thinking of writing pieces. 

Literacy stations was also another great one. I got some new, fresh ideas for some of my stations.  This all came from the same presenter! Check the bottom of this post for all of the links to her awesomeness! I never thought about using travel brochures for a reading station. Another favorite was Reading with the Stars. First graders need to practice fluency daily! She had created file folders with stars inside. They read to the star. So your stars just depends what your kids like. I could see some girls reading to One Direction or Bieber. Boys reading to Kung Fu Panda or sports athletes or monster truck drivers. It can be whatever! So cool! Ok check out her blog! Click the pic to visit!
 Click the pic below to go to her business page and schedule her to come visit you!

Last thing! I saw this cool video on her blog. Ok if you teach social studies, I think your kids would love this kid! If you want to pump up your team show them this video! If you want to teach anyone about loving one another and making the world better, Kid President can help!

4 comments:

  1. I used Kidblog toward the end of the year and really liked it. I actually checked it today and 2 of my kiddos had sent me messages over the summer! :) I definitely think it's a great real-world connection to writing. Love the Kid President-I actually did share it with my kids last year-they got a big kick out of it.

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to try it out with my new babies!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your recap of the conference. Where do you live? What were you doing in TX for the curriculum conference if you don't live in TX? I'm so confused!

    Thanks for the blog post and the shout out for my blog. I should be home in a few more hours. I'm pooped!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I was a little unclear! I have lived in Texas most of my life. I have never seen the Alamo! I hope you made it home safely! I learned so much more than I shared! I can't wait to try it all out with my new group.

      Delete